For over 80 years, the professionals at Eye Care Associates have been meeting the needs of area patients. Eye Care’s history began in 1935 when Dr. Elmer Wenaas joined Dr. William Hiram Evans in an eye care practice in downtown Youngstown. Interestingly, this was the first time ophthalmology was broken out as a specialty practice in our area. Dr. George Pugh and Dr. Albert Cinelli joined the growing practice years later and the addition of Dr. Robert Gerberry in 1971 marked the first time that ophthalmologists and optometrists in this area practiced side by side in the same office. Since that time, Eye Care Associates has grown in size and scope of services to become the area’s leading provider of vision care.
In 1974, a larger facility opened at 10 Dutton Drive in Youngstown, Ohio. “The little gem on the hill” featured a refreshing architectural design and progressive concept with multiple exam rooms, testing areas, a full service optical store and space for administrative staff. In 1999 a second office was built, a unique structural design that mixed beauty with technology. This office, located on Western Reserve Road in Poland, OH, is home to our state-of-the-art surgical center, office and EyeWear Gallery. The most recent addition of a new office in East Liverpool has helped to extend convenient patient care into three counties. Today, four offices and more than 100 eye care professionals meet the needs of thousands of patients beyond the tri-county area.
During the past six decades, Eye Care Associates has taken part in many healthcare milestones in the Mahoning Valley area:
- 1961: Our physicians performed the area’s first corneal transplant.
- 1978: We introduced fluorescein angiography and pioneered the use of laser technology and on-site computerized imaging of the retina to aid in diagnosis and treatment of diseases.
- 1984: We began performing refractive procedures, and with the skill and foresight of the physicians, have continued to offer the most advanced technology in the treatment of refractive errors.
- We were the first in the area to perform phacoemulsification as a means of cataract extraction.
- We were privileged to participate in a leading national study of the safety and effectiveness of a new, soft, “foldable” intraocular implant lens.
- 1993: We introduced the area’s first pediatric ophthalmologist.
- 1998: We introduced the area’s first glaucoma specialist.
- 1999: We opened a free-standing ophthalmic ambulatory surgery center.
- 2003: We introduced the area’s first oculoplastic specialist.
- 2013: Were the first in the area to begin performing Laser Cataract Surgery using the LenSx Laser.
As we continue to offer improvements in technology and service, we keep in mind our first and foremost goal: to provide our patients with the highest quality of care.