LASIK surgery is a popular and effective way to improve your vision. Our eye doctors at Eye Care Associates Inc, serving Poland, Youngstown, and Warren, are experienced in performing this type of refractive surgery. If you're considering having the procedure, you likely have some questions. Here are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about LASIK.
What Is LASIK Surgery?
LASIK surgery is a type of refractive surgery used to correct vision problems such as myopia and hyperopia. The surgery is performed by using a laser to reshape the cornea, which is the eye's clear front surface.
How Is LASIK Surgery Performed?
The ophthalmologist will numb your eyes with eye drops during the procedure. You will also be given a mild sedative to help you relax. Once your eyes are numb, and you're relaxed, the eye doctor will create a thin flap in the cornea. This is done with either a blade or a femtosecond laser. Next, the ophthalmologist will use an excimer laser to remove tissue from the cornea. This will help reshape it so that light can be properly focused on the retina, which is the back surface of the eye. Finally, the eye doctor will replace the flap and smooth it down.
What Conditions Can Be Treated With LASIK Surgery?
LASIK surgery can be used to treat several different vision problems, including:
- Myopia (nearsightedness): This is a condition in which distant objects appear blurry.
- Hyperopia (farsightedness): The condition in which nearby objects appear blurry.
- Astigmatism: A condition in which the eye doesn't focus light properly, resulting in blurred vision.
How Long Does LASIK Surgery Take?
The entire procedure usually takes less than 30 minutes. Your eyes will be numbed with eye drops before the eye doctor begins, so you likely won't feel any pain.
What Is the Recovery Time for LASIK Surgery?
The recovery time for this type of surgery is usually pretty short. Most people see an improvement in their vision within 24 hours after the procedure. However, it may take a few days for your vision to stabilize.
Are There Any Risks Associated with LASIK Surgery?
LASIK surgery is generally safe, but like with any type of surgery, some risks are involved. These risks include:
- Dry eyes: This is a common side effect of LASIK surgery. It usually goes away within a few months.
- Glare, halos, and double vision: You may experience these side effects shortly after the surgery.
- Under-correction or over-correction: This is when your vision isn't corrected as much as you had hoped, or it's corrected too much.
Schedule an Appointment With Our Ophthalmologists
If you're considering having LASIK surgery, our eye doctors at Eye Care Associates Inc, serving Poland, Youngstown, and Warren can help. We are happy to answer any of your questions and help you decide if this type of surgery is right for you. Call our team today at 1-800-322-8889 to learn more or to schedule a consultation.